Eastern Ethiopia (6 days)
About this Tour:
This is a very attractive short tour or extension option to Aledeghi Wildlife Reserve and Awash National Park as well as to the fascinating holy city of Harar (UNESCO world heritage site). This tour may also be perfectly combined with any of our other Ethiopia trips.
- Exploring the capital Addis Ababa
- Overnight at Aledeghi National Park with the chance to observe numerous animal- and bird species. (With a little luck lions may be spotted near the lodge)
- Natural, hot springs at the Doho Lodge
- Overnight in Awash National Park. The lodge is located at the Awash Falls with rich animal- and birdlife in the immediate surroundings.
- Exploring of the photogenic holy city of Harar with its city walls of the 16th century (UNESCO world heritage site).
- Legendary feeding of the hyena of Harar – a very unique experience!
Included in the travel price
- 5 nights with breakfast in basic and middle-class hotels and lodges
- Road Transfer in Toyota minibus or 4x4 Landcruiser
- Professional tour guide (English, German, French, Italian or Spanish-speaking available)
- All local guides, rangers and scouts
- 1 domestic flight with Ethiopian Airlines (discounted tariff if your international flight is with Ethiopian Airlines)
- All entrance fees
- Traditional dinner on the last evening before departure
- 1 liter of mineral water per day
- Tour code: WET-EE-6:
- Hotel standard: hotels and Eco-lodges
- Number of domestic flights: 1
- Required fitness level: no requirements
Day 1: Arrival in Addis Ababa and City Tour
Upon arrival at Bole International Airport, you will be met by a Welcome Ethiopia Tours representative and be taken to your reserved hotel. Depending on your arrival time, we have various sightseeing options:
- Mount Entoto with the best views over the capital.
- Institute of Ethiopian Studies, where you can see a variety of artifacts from all the different regions reflecting the history and culture of the country
- National Museum which among other exhibits the 3.5-million-year-old bones of Lucy.
- Trinity Cathedral: this is the burial place of members of the imperial family and noted patriots; the cathedral is the most magnificent of its kind in the country, ornamented with carvings, mosaics and other artistic works.
- The Mercato, the largest open-air market in Africa
Accommodation: Hotel, Addis Ababa
Day 2: Addis Ababa – Doho Lodge (267 km)
After breakfast, we drive from Addis Ababa to Doho Lodge near Aledeghi National Park. You may enjoy the fantastic natural hot springs at the lodge and usually an impressive sunset over the savanna.
Accommodation: Doho Lodge
Day 3: Aledeghi Wildlife Reserve – Awash National Park (60 km)
This morning we undertake an early game drive into the Aledeghi Wildlife Reserve. Here we have the opportunity to spot a great variety of birds and mammals in the savanna as well as hippos living at the nearby lake. We then continue to the Awash National Park. The park lodge is spectacularly located next to the Awash Falls and surrounded by a variety of birds and mammals, as well as crocodiles living at the river. We usually enjoy an impressive sunset over the Awash River gorge.
Accommodation: Kuriftu Lodge, Awash National Park
Day 4: Awash National Park – Harar (328 km)
After our morning game drive, we depart for Harar (8 hrs), stopping at Avadai, Ethiopia’s biggest Khat market, and Dire Dawa. In the evening, you will see the “Hyena Man” feeding the hyenas that gather nightly outside the town. With a little courage, you may of course also feed the hyenas yourself!
Accommodation: Hotel or Guesthouse, Harar
Day 5: Full Day in Harar
Today we discover the 16th century walled city of Harar, the fourth most important city in the Islamic World and a UNESCO world heritage site. It feels as if time has stood still here for the last 400 years. We will visit the home of Arthur Rimbaud, the renowned French poet who lived in Harar, the National and Harari museums; the house of Ras Mekonnen (the father of Haile Selassie); traditional Harari homes, the market and many more interesting places.
Accommodation: Hotel or Guesthouse, Harar
Day 6: Harar – Dire Dawa (airport) – Addis Ababa (flight)
We take the flight at noon back to Addis. A day room will be provided. You will have time for sightseeing and/or shopping. In the evening, you are invited to a memorable farewell dinner in one of Addis Ababa’s traditional restaurants with cultural songs, dances and traditional food. After dinner, you will be transferred to Bole International Airport for your departure or back to your reserved hotel if you continue your stay in Ethiopia.
Departure or Individual Extension