Eastern Ethiopia (5 days)
About this Tour:
Very attractive extension option to Aledeghi and Awash National Park as well as the fascinating holy city of Harar (UNESCO world heritage site). May be perfectly combined with a Northern- or Southern Ethiopia trip.
- Overnight at Aledeghi National Park with the chance to observe numerous animal- and bird species. (With a little luck lions may be spotted near the lodge)
- Natural, hot springs at the Doho Lodge
- Overnight in Awash National Park. The lodge is located at the Awash Falls with rich animal- and birdlife in the immediate surroundings.
- Exploring of the photogenic holy city of Harar with its city walls of the 16th century (UNESCO world heritage site).
- Legendary feeding of the hyena of Harar – a very unique experience.
- Tour code: WET-EE-5
- Time: may be conducted during the whole year:
- Hotel standard: basic hotels and Eco-lodges
- Number of domestic flights: 1
- Required fitness level: no requirements
Day 1: Addis Ababa – Aledeghi National Park (267 km)
After breakfast, we drive from Addis Ababa to Aledeghi National Park. We will reach the Doho Lodge for lunch.
Here we have the opportunity to spot a great variety of birds and mammals in the savanna as well as hippos living at the nearby lake. The fantastic hot springs are certainly another highlight of the lodge.
Overnight: Doho Lodge, Aledeghi National Park (www.doholodge.com)
Day 2: Aledeghi National Park – Awash National Park (60 km)
After a morning game drive and our breakfast, we drive to the Awash National Park. We will reach the Awash Park Lodge located next to the Awash Falls for lunch.
We have the opportunity to spot a great variety of birds and mammals in the savanna as well as crocodiles living at the river. We will enjoy an impressive sunset over the Awash River gorge.
Overnight: Awash Falls Lodge, Awash National Park (www.awashfallslodge.net)
Day 3: Awash National Park – Harar (328 km)
Morning / Afternoon:
After our morning game drive, we depart for Harar (8 hrs), stopping at Avadai, Ethiopia’s biggest Khat market, and Dire Dawa. In the evening, you will see the “Hyena Man” feeding the hyenas that gather nightly outside the town. With a little courage, you may of course also feed the hyenas yourself!
Hotel: Ras or Wonderland Hotel, Harar
Day 4: Full Day in Harar
Today we discover the 16th century walled city of Harar, the fourth most important city in the Islamic World and a UNESCO world heritage site. It feels as if time has stood still here. We will visit the home of Arthur Rimbaud, the renowned French poet who lived in Harar, the National and Harari museums; the house of Ras Mekonnen (the father of Haile Selassie); traditional Harari homes, the market and many more interesting places.
Hotel: Wonderland Hotel or similar, Harar
Day 5: Harar – Dire Dawa (airport) – Addis Ababa (flight)
Morning / Afternoon:
We take the flight at noon back to Addis. A day room will be provided. You will have time for sightseeing and/or shopping.
You will be invited to a memorable farewell dinner in one of Addis Ababa’s traditional restaurant with cultural songs, dances and traditional food. You will then be transferred to Bole International Airport for departure or be transferred to your reserved hotel if you continue your stay in Ethiopia
Departure or Individual Extension.